U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (UCIS) has released a revised version of the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form. The revised form must be used exclusively beginning on January 22, 2017; until then, employers may use either the new version or the old version (which is dated 3/8/2013). Most of the revisions to the I-9 operate to allow for easier electronic completion, while others aim to streamline the employment eligibility verification process. Changes to the form include:
- Drop-down menus in (electronic format)
- On-screen instructions for completing the form (electronic format)
- Prompts to ensure the entry of accurate information (electronic format)
- More space for providing additional information
- Areas to enter the names of multiple preparers or translators
Despite these changes, the purpose of the I-9 Form remains the same: to verify the identity and employment eligibility of individuals seeking work in the United States. Electronic and printable versions of the revised I-9 can be accessed here.