The Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) has issued Guidance in preparation for the September 11, 2008 effective date of Pennsylvania’s Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA). The Guidance has the following noteworthy provisions and references collateral documents:
- Owner/Employer Compliance Toolkit: Additional guidance will be available in a Toolkit which will be available on the DOH website beginning August 20, 2008.
- Signage Requirements: Signage for entrances and areas where smoking is not permitted is also available on the DOH website beginning August 20, 2008.
- Outdoor Smoking Areas: DOH recommends that outdoor smoking areas be a minimum distance of 20 feet from any doorway, if possible.
- FAQ Published: A frequently asked question section is added to the DOH website. The most interesting FAQ answer relates to the establishment of separate smoking facilities, which the DOH indicates, “The CIAA does not permit the construction of separate area with its own ventilation system and entrance for the sole purpose smoking.”
- Exemption Approval Process: Additional Guidance will be published for obtaining an exemption for tobacco shops, cigar bars, and drinking establishments.
- Workplace Exemptions: Additional Guidance will be published for obtaining an exemption for organizations, workplaces, facilities, residences, and events.
For additional information on the CIAA, see our prior post Pennsylvania enacts Clean Indoor Air Act Prohibiting Smoking in most Public Places including Workplaces.